Thursday, February 14, 2019

Music Marketing Campaign




       This project required us to create a music marketing campaign for an upcoming musician/band. This campaign included various types of marketing methods, like the creation of merchandise (shirts, hoodies, stickers, pop-sockets, etc.), and distribution methods: streaming services (Spotify, iTunes, and Apple music, etc.), social media platforms like Instagram and YouTube, and a music video showcasing our band/musician's new single. 
       For our video, we could choose to make it promotional, storytelling, or artistic. My group and I decided to make a storytelling video, focusing on love and heartbreak, as this fit into our song's meaning.

When researching for this project, my group and I focused on bands similar to ours. Since our band’s genre was Indie Rock, we focused on bands like Death Cab for Cutie and Arctic Monkeys, as they produced music similar to ours and had a similar aesthetic. By researching these bands, we were able to create specific merchandise and marketing items.

It was also vital to thoroughly research the target audience of our band’s genre. We discovered that this audience was comprised of teenagers and young adults from ages 16 to 25. From this information, we catered our marketing and distribution plans to this age, incorporating digital technology to many aspects of our plan, such as distributing our tracks mostly through digital streaming services rather than focusing mainly on CDs, cassettes, or vinyl records.
From knowing the target audience, we also decided to focus our initial campaigning through Instagram, as it is one of the most popular platforms for our target audience.

For our marketing plan, we decided to focus mainly on our website (https://nicolealesso.wixsite.com/website) and our Instagram account (@rocknature_official). On our website, we included background information on our band, like its history, personal information on each member, and a list of its upcoming shows, with buttons to RSVP and buy tickets.
We also advertised and sold our merchandise through the website. This included logo shirts, hoodies, stickers, and pop-sockets, which can be seen below.

     On our website, we also allowed fans to subscribe to our blog, which offered stories of us on tour and helpful music advice, and to contact us with any questions, comments, or concerns. These messages would be answered within 24 hours by a band member or staff.
Our Instagram, however, was what allowed for the most interaction with our fans. Since a large portion of our target audience is active on the Instagram, we used the app's features, like its hashtags and location options to increase our visibility.



From this project, I learned the importance of researching target audience and catering my work to this audience. I also learned the importance of establishing a concise yet specific marketing and distribution plan. For the campaign project, my group and I discussed and established our distribution plan before our marketing plan. This was not logical at all, as marketing comes before distribution in a campaign, and I will make sure not to make this same mistake for my portfolio project.
Since I will be creating a film opening for my project, the music video aspect of this project greatly exposed my group and I to the filming and editing process. Many critiques on our music video were regarding the loose editing of our video; many of our shots were on the screen for too long. For my portfolio project, I will make sure this is not the case. I will film many different shots and angles of a scene, so that I have ample footage to choose from and can produce a tighter edit.





No comments:

Post a Comment